nospin

Most female authors "look like hags anyway" What?

Reblogged from Scarlet's Web:

Well isn't Mr Rod Labbe a right little charmer. I wasn't aware that looks or gender affected anyones ability to write. It seems this author thinks female horror authors look like hags. The link explains more of the situation, which only makes it all the more shocking that he has said/treated a fellow author in this way.

"The sheer number of people who call themselves "horror writers" astounds me. I consider myself just a writer, somebody who's up for anything if the challenge is interesting enough. In college, I wrote for the campus newspapers, edited the literary magazines and jumped into freelancing once I had my diploma. I pretty much worked in anonymity, and I like that. Now, however, with the publication of my first novel and a second one to come later this year, I've found that I must "network" to get my name "out there." And via this networking, I've encountered people who VERY SERIOUSLY consider themselves horror writers of the highest caliber.
They don't welcome criticism on any level and don't appreciate being questioned. They form "horror writing groups and associations" and band together with other like-minded writers for support and promotion. They do library readings, sign their novels on people's lawns, pose for pictures as ghouls and monsters (the women are especially guilty of this; most of them look like hags anyway), and self-publish their work.
As a result, the marketplace has been flooded with junk, which brings down the overall quality of everything being offered. Their stuff will appear on Amazon.com, all wildly applauded by friends and family, who eagerly post to "lift up" the poor writer and perhaps push for more sales. "Five stars!" they'll gush, when all the while, the book/novella/short story is full of typos and misspellings and bad syntax. Shameful.
Everywhere I turn, I encounter these deluded individuals. They obviously have some great need to be "somebody," and it makes them feel good to be recognized. Hey, I'm all for that--but I also believe you must hone your craft, educate yourself, and pay your dues. You don't become a horror writer merely because you suddenly feel like one. It's like any creative art. First, you need the talent, and then you need to polish it to a high sheen.
Skipping these steps results in what I've been seeing: deluded "writers" who proudly strut around with absolutely nothing to back up the bravado." - Rod Labbe